Are You Ready for LED Lighting?
Category : Industry News
A popular trend we’ve all heard about is the transition to LED lighting. Of course, there are countless benefits to LED lighting. Here is a list we pulled together of the positive aspects of LED lighting and possible challenges you might face with switching.
- Longer lifespan. LED fixtures have a longer life than traditional fixtures. If used in suitable conditions, you could be saving money in the long run, as well as future maintenance and replacement. Well-designed LED lighting fixtures can retain 70% of their initial output for 50,000 hours or more.
- Environmentally friendly. LED lighting has dramatically higher efficiency and lower power usage compared to that of other common lighting technologies, and unlike fluorescent lighting, there is no mercury to dispose of.
- Cost effective. By using the Philips Energy Saving LED Calculator, you can see just how much money you could be saving by switching to LED lighting.
- Lower infra-red and ultraviolet output. This can mean a lower fire risk, especially when you compare to halogen lights.
- Less heat output. Conventional incandescent lights waste about 90% of their power on heat output. LEDs produce no infrared energy, therefore the beam of light from an LED source is cool.
- Low energy. High lumens/watts mean less wattage is required than other equivalent sources.
- Rugged. LED lighting is generally more rugged. There is normally no glass that can break and no filament to damage with vibration.
- Using LEDs in high ambient environments raises the junction temperature which can reduce both output and life. New fixtures are being engineered to minimize this issue.
- Solid state devices. LED fixtures are more susceptible to surges and lightning strike. It may be necessary to utilize surge suppression.
- Emergency lighting. Battery packs are not as easy to integrate as it was for fluorescent. They are available but what limited at the moment, however the market is growing. As LED continues to become more prevalent, this issue will disappear.
- Variety. Not all fixtures are made in LED as of yet, but as the demand continues to increase, manufacturers will expand to almost all fixtures, or will have a LED equivalent.
LEDs are a great choice if you are looking to:
- Lower energy costs on lighting
- Lower maintenance costs associated with lighting replacement and repair
- Be “Green”
- Integrate controls into your lighting
With every energy efficient option, it is best to research and understand fully before diving in. Selecting the wrong LED for your application may negate any of the technology’s advantages. This list includes just a few of the factors you should consider when evaluating LEDs for your particular lighting project.
If you have any questions about lighting technology, controls or best practices for LED lighting projects, your French Gerleman team is ready to help. Whether you need turnkey lighting project management or material only, we want to be your LED lighting partner. Please call your French Gerleman Account Manager or contact us to learn more.
And don’t forget, to offset the initial investment in energy efficient products, there are several utilities and organizations in Missouri, Illinois and Kansas that have developed programs offering cash incentives to go Green! Learn more about them HERE.