Harness New LED Technologies in Your Facility
On October 19, we hosted an LED Seminar in St. Louis with presentations from Philips, Acuity Brands and Dialight on emerging lighting technologies and how they can improve your workplace. They each focused on different aspects of how upgrading to LED lighting can improve your workplace from improved light output to new connected systems.
State of the Lighting Industry from Philips
LEDs have made a huge impact on the lighting industry as they are extremely efficient, last far longer than traditional lighting and are capable of being dimmed. LEDs can last up to 100,000 hours depending on the type, which equates to about 25 years in an office.
Upgrading to LED lighting has its costs, as any upgrade does, but there are different upgrade strategies you can take:
- Simply replacing traditional light sources with LEDs, like changing the lamp in a fixture, will save energy and be more sustainable, but does not provide a new look or feel. It is the least expensive and easiest transition to LED lighting.
- Installing a retrofit kit to replace traditional panel lighting is a cost effective way to help provide a new look and feel to your lighting, in addition to standard LED benefits, without penetrating the ceiling.
- Completely renovating your lighting solutions can be higher cost, but will provide a new look and functionality
- Add Enhanced Controls. Adding control systems to your lighting allows you to adjust for natural daylight, whether or not the building is occupied, and lets you dim your lights, which can add 50-65% more energy savings in addition to the savings that simply come from switching your light sources.
Old technology is declining as LED improves. Issues with LED, such as glare, are being fixed, and LEDs can now come with integrated sensors and be connected into controlled lighting.
The Next Step, Lighting Controls from Acuity Brands
Switching out lamps help save energy, but the next step forward in energy reduction is controlled lighting. Connecting an entire building with an information system converged network creates an IoT building. IoT (The Internet of Things) delivers building services through one holistic IP system.
Lighting offers the ideal platform to enable the IoT in buildings:
- Ubiquity — where there are people, there are lights
- Continuous power for additional sensors and devices
- Processing capability for edge computing
- Energy savings from a lighting retrofit can help fund inclusion of IoT networking and sensors
A smart LED lighting system can provide the IoT framework to unify your lighting devices, building controls, management systems and networks. New, smart lighting systems can provide enhanced, customer-focused services to maximize performance, reduce operational costs, create better visual environments and increase energy savings while enhancing user experiences.
Energy-efficient LED lighting is being transformed into a smart, connected platform for data-driven applications. As a result, companies can derive more value from their LED systems beyond energy-efficiency and high-quality lighting. Smart applications can help enhance employee safety and security, improve parking management, leverage location analytics and propel operations to the next level.
Evaluation & Selection of LED Fixtures from Dialight
When choosing LED solutions for your workplace, you have to consider the safety standards your lighting must meet. Different standards apply to different environments, such as industrial verses a hazardous location.
The 2017 NEC NFPA70 Code Book is the standard for all such safety ratings. When it comes to lighting safety in general, heat must be considered – both how much heat the lighting emits and how much it can withstand from the environment.
Why upgrade to LED? Overwhelmingly the top reason is safety, followed by energy reduction, maintenance reduction and the reduction of overall operational costs. LED systems use less energy and last longer require less maintenance, making your workplace safer and more efficient.
Whether you are looking to make your workplace safer, or you are looking for an integrated control system, LEDs are your path ahead. If you have further questions, connect with your French Gerleman Account Manager for more information.